We have a several options available to us for integrating Microsoft Outlook and Salesforce. We have talked about how to use the Email to Salesforce feature on a previous post. That option works well for pushing emails into Salesforce regardless of your email system. This post will focus on Salesforce for Outlook (SfO) which is a good solution for Microsoft Exchange businesses. Come back next month we’ll look at Lightning for Outlook which is my personal favorite for Office 365 users.
Salesforce for Outlook is a powerful tool that can boost your productivity and simplify your work routine. Using the Salesforce for Outlook integration app means you no longer need to leave your inbox to access related Salesforce data. This integration allows you to sync contacts, events and tasks between Salesforce and MS Outlook.
As a Salesforce administrator, you have complete control over what can be synced; a major advantage of SfO. You can even setup multiple configurations for different user needs.
SfO is an app that must be installed on each Windows computer; a disadvantage. Also, there’s no Mac version.
When you open an email in MS Outlook, your contacts’ Salesforce records will appear on the sidebar. This panel typically shows the job title of the person in the email, company, past activities, on-going cases, and opportunities.
How to install and set up Salesforce for Outlook
- Click here for instructions
How to mange your Salesforce for Outlook configuration
- Login to Salesforce, search Salesforce for Outlook and click View My Configuration
- Change your email, sync, conflict, matching, and field mapping settings, if your administrator allows changes.
- Save your changes
How to add emails, events, and tasks to Salesforce records
- Open MS Outlook and select an email. The Salesforce panel will appear with related records.
- Click the (envelope + icon) beside the name of the contact to which you are adding the email. The icon will turn green once the email is added.
Feel free to reach out to me using the comment box below if you have any questions. If you need help with setting up this integration, sign up for a free consultation and we can talk about your specific needs.